Tuesday, February 12, 2008

New Hat Pattern!

The Top-Down Baggy Beret

This hat was adapted from "Knit and Tonic"s Le Slouch
I adapted the already wonderful pattern because I was interested in knitting a hat from the top down. Knitting the hat from the top down insures that you can try it on as you go, and increase the rib as long as you need. I used Judy Becker's instructions on the Figure 8
Cast On to start myself off, and then I mixed a little bit of my own ideas in with the original pattern... And a hat was born!

You Will Need:
5 US #10 dpn (4 will do, but it's harder.)
1 US #10 24" circular needle

Crochet Needle

2 skeins of worsted weight yarn, any color. I used regular old Red Heart "White" and "Black", so you can substitute any worsted weight yarn you wish, in any two colors.

Pattern:
In CC (Shown in white):

Cast on 10 st using fig. 8 method
Row 1: Increase every stitch by knitting the front and back of each stitch (KF&B)
Row 2: Knit normally
Row 3: Increase every other st. using KF&B
Row 4: Knit normally

Repeat rows 1-4 once.
Row 9: Increase every 9th st. (K8, KF&B... to end)
Row 10: Knit normally (100 st. total)


K 10 rows in MC (Shown in black)
K 10 rows CC
K 10 rows MC

Row 41: In CC; K2, K2tog to end (66 st. total)
K 4 rows CC in a K1 P1 rib
K 5 rows in rib

BO using crocheted cast off, making sure to create an extra link between each BO st.



No comments: